Early Plans for my Next Free RPG: Lords & Wizards
As I mentioned about six weeks ago, my next free RPG project will be Lords & Wizards: a game combining that “strange combination of 0e and 1e I used in the late 1970s” with some of the ideas from B/X and some of the more interesting ideas from Microlite74. Now that all my promised Microlite74 projects have been completed, I’m ready to begin serious work on Lords & Wizards. Here are some of my plans for the Lords & Wizards system. I’m open to comments and suggestions as well.
- Separate races and classes.
- Class levels range from 1 to 14 (like B/X). There might be some type of “epic advancement after that, but this is undecided.
- Arcane spells up to 6th level can be memorized and cast. Divine spells up to 5th level can be memorized and cast. Higher level spells can only be cast as rituals.
- Spell lists will be mainly from 1e.
- There will be lots of monsters provided (at least those of core 1e).
- The world will have no magic, low magic, normal magic, high magic, and very high magic areas with the magic level of an area affect how spells and other magic work. GMs can easily ignore this by making the entire world “normal magic” (which just uses the standard rules).
- Psionics will be included in the rules, but will be optional.
- Mutations (think Mutant Future) will be included but are optional. They can be caused by magical radiation (left over from ancient wizard wars) and by being born in a very high magic area. Or those who want to run science fantasy games can have mutations caused by actual radiation. Even if one does not want to use mutations for characters, having lists of mutations and their effects provides a way to quickly create new monsters the players will not be familiar with.
- My Body Point/Hit Point system will be used.
- My Background system will be used.
- Science Fantasy play will be supported, but optional. While mixing science fiction and fantasy in campaigns is somewhat uncommon now, it was relatively common in the 1970s.
Lords & Wizards will be a major project. I don’t expect to have it ready for prime time for 8 to 12 months. Donors to the RetroRoleplaying Cancer Fund will have work in progress access and a beta version will be released to general comment at some point (when it’s ready). Progress updates will appear here, of course.
The Brown Box/Wee Warriors Cancer Fund Drive updated with BONUS giveaway items is on. 12 standard giveaway items (including a third printing Brown Box D&D and Wee Warriors items are available. High Donors will get get six (their choice), the rest will be raffled off with each $10 donating giving you one chance. You can see the complete list of 12 items and read more about this fund drive in this post: Brown Box/Wee Warriors Cancer Fund Drive (updated with MORE donor giveaway items for Cancer Fund Donors). This is in addition to the usual PDF downloads and other benefits of a donation to the RetrpoRoleplaying Cancer Fund. To get help us pay our cancer treatment related bills (and to get access to some special downloads and a chance at the above-mentioned items), send a donation in any amount — small or large — to me via Paypal. Thank you!
As of 1 April 2013, $135 has been donated toward the Bonus Items. 27% of that needed for the first set of bonus items and 13% of that needed for the second group of bonus items.