New Microlite74 Variant Coming Very Soon
I was recently (like last Monday) offered a $100 donation to the RetroRoleplaying Cancer Fund if I would piece together various rules from the different Microlite74 rules sets and companions (and customize them slightly) for a specific GM’s campaign world. I did so. I’m now stripping out the specific “product identity” of the donor’s campaign world so I can release this special version to the general public. I hope to have it done in a few days.
The campaign world is what makes this “special version” of Microlite74 different. Some important differences with standard rules:
* Two Classes (Adventurers and Clerics), max level is 12.
* Only two deities, the Lord of Light and the Lord of Darkness (think Zoroastrianism).
* True (Arcane) magic is rare. It can only be cast via long, complex, and expensive rituals.
* Clerics have prayers (aka their normal divine spells). Clerics of the Lord of Light can also turn undead and create herbal healing potions. Clerics of the Lord of Darkness can also command undead and animate dead.
* About 25% of intelligent beings are able to use an expanded form of Minor Magic called Sorcery. All player characters are assumed to be in this 25%. Sorcery includes casting minor magic “spells”, arcane blast, and sorcerous dueling. It also can include alchemy and/or spirit binding, but these increase the experience base of a character if taken.
* Anyone can try to cast True (Arcane) Magic spells as long, complex, and expensive rituals. Those with Sorcery have a slightly better chance of success. Of course, first you have to find a copy of the ritual (magic spell) you want to cast. And spending a couple of hours to cast a fireball is only going to be useful in a limited set of circumstances.
* True magic items are rare and each must be designed by the GM if wanted. Most magic items are simply spirits bound to items.