Microlite78 First Edition Lite Expanded Second Tablet/Digest Edition is now available from RPGNow and DriveThruRPG for $9.95. You can purchase your copy from:
This Expanded Second Tablet/Digest Edition is the ultimate version of the second edition of new Microlite78 First Edition Lite. It is suitable for digest-sized printing or tablet viewing (pdf, epub, and mobi versions are included). This 1012 page digest-sized PDF includes new material not included in the standard (or in the “pay-what-you-want”) version of the second edition of Microlite78 First Edition Lite, for example:
- New (Optional) Classes: Alchemist, Commander, Monk, and Necromancer
- 120+ additional monsters
- over 50 new magic items, including some magic items designed specifically for Microlite78 systems (e.g. items working with the hit point fueled magic system)
- new spells, including 8th and 9th level spells for Illusionists
- A larger selection of optional rules
- rules for using small parties of 1-3 characters in old TSR adventures designed for 8+ PCs
- a sample campaign and several sample adventures (including a walk-through of creating a dungeon)
- more advice (e.g. on environmental and terrain hazards) and random tables for Microlite78 GMs
- more art.
Of course, the Microlite78 First Edition Lite Expanded Second Tablet/Digest Edition includes all of the standard features of the second edition of Microlite78 First Edition Lite:
- Simple Character Creation Rules: Roll 4 attributes and select a race, class, alignment and a background.
- Basic Classes: Fighter, Magic-User, Cleric, Druid, and Thief.
- Additional (Optional) Classes: Assassin, Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Illusionist, Paladin, and Ranger.
- Races: Human, Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, and Halfling.
- Simple and fast-playing combat system that tracks physical damage (aka body points) separately from luck/skill/fatigue (aka hit point) damage. Combat is BAB-based: no to-hit tables or THAC0.
- Hit points recover with a night’s rest. Spells cost hit points to cast. Actual wounds recover more slowly.
- Rules for hirelings, monster reactions (not every monster wants to fight), morale (not every monster fights to the death), and more.
- Many optional rules (Advantages and Disadvantages, Psionics, Action Points, Sanity, more traditional magic and saving rolls, etc.): use none, some, or all.
- A complete information on spells, monsters and treasure.
- Gamemaster section with setting design information, and advice.
- Rules for PC-ruled dominions.
- Compatible with most other 1e based games and adventures — as well as many designed for 0e, B/X, BECMI, and 2e.
The rules needed to create characters and actually play are short and sweet. Character Creation rules (including race, class, alignment, and background descriptions) are 48 digest-sized pages. The Core rules (skills, saving throws, magic, combat, experience and level advancement) are 22 digest-sized pages. They are written in fairly normal English, not “High Gygaxian”. The rules assume that the GM understands the basic concepts of roleplaying games, but provides information for both the GM and the players on the various “old school” styles of play. Microlite78 First Edition Lite games can easily use adventures and material from early editions of the world’s most popular tabletop fantasy roleplaying game or modern clones.
Microlite78 First Edition Lite Expanded Second Tablet/Digest Edition is an expanded version of the second edition of Microlite78 First Edition Lite. Core changes from the first edition: The Barbarian and Bard classes were added. The method of determining the number of experience points needed to advance no longer requires recalculating entire experience point advancement charts if optional rules are used. Treasure items are more like those of the first edition of the world’s most popular roleplaying game which makes the game easier to use with published adventures. Rules for character-ruled dominions are included. Gamemaster section with advice for creating and running campaigns added. Some artwork is in color.
Microlite78 First Edition Lite Expanded Second Edition includes three files: a standard pdf and bonus epub and mobi ebook files. The digest-sized pdf is formatted in a single column and uses a larger typeface than the “pay what you want” version. It is suitable for printing or for easy reading on a tablet.
The epub and mobi versions of the Microlite78 First Edition Lite Expanded Second Edition contain tables and many ebook (especially epub) readers display tables in a single column unreadable mess. Epub reader software designed to display epub3 files usually have no problem with the tables. Note that tables in epub and mobi files may not adapt well to small screen devices. Some ebook readers do not display all of the art. The epub and mobi conversions have minor font size issues not present in the pdf version, but are quite usable if your ebook reader displays tables properly.